Skip to main content

Sanuks, Flojos and J-41 barefoot design shoes

When we were packing for our trip to Rome... I had to decide what kind of shoes to take for the extensive amount of walking we would be doing. 
I started walking here at home to test out different shoes to help me decide.  I ended up taking 3 pairs of shoes on my trip. 
Before I review each of them, you should know that I am a flip flop girl at heart.... I would wear them year round if we didn't get snow!

JEEP J-41-Barefoot Design
The first pair I got for the trip were J-41, Barefoot Design... these were actually purchased for me from a friend who got them at Costco!  I walked every day in these for 3 weeks and LOVED them!  They are absolutely perfect for longs walks.... This is a photo of them in the Vatican.  They were the PERFECT shoes for this tour!  Anytime I walked on something smooth or even these were the shoes to wear.
 
But, in the evening we went on a Roman night walking tour and these are a no go for this!  The ground is very uneven and my feet were killing me halfway through!
 
Sanuk
So the Other pair I purchased for the trip were Sanuks!  Some friends of ours use these for their trips to mexico and swear by them!  So we each got a pair of these.  These shoes are fantastic!  They don't rub anywhere, they feel like nothing is on  your foot....absolutely perfect for long walking... soooo comfortable... that is until you get to Rome.  Again... the uneven ancient cobblestone and rock ground are too much for thin-soled shoes to handle.  My feet were quite miserable at the end of this day.
 
Flojos
So the third pair of shoes I took on this trip were my Flojos!  My sister got me hooked on these a few years ago and I wear them all summer, every year!  She bought me a pair this year for my birthday right before our trip so I could have a new pair to wear.  Surprisingly, these were the best for my feet when walking on the uneven ground.  This is simply because they have the thicket soles of all the shoes I took. The flip side?  One of the things I love about these flip flops is they NEVER hurt or rub or irritate between my toes.... when in Rome though, on uneven ground, they KILLED between my toes! As you slip and slip and almost trip... they pull and tug at that point over and over.
 Also bear in mind, if you are in Rome and wearing flip flops, you will get crazy looks from locals, especially when its November and they things its gold at 68 degrees!  The other thing I would caution is this.... if its rained earlier at all.... these can make you feel quite gross as the streets are a bit dirty and metro as well. 
 
 
Conclusion
So what's the verdict?  Basically, I love all three of these shoes!  I will continues to wear them and take them on future trips... but no matter what shoes you pack, when you walk all day on uneven ground your feet will hurt.  And if you are walking on ancient roads that have shifted and become trip-worthy.... tennis shoes might be your best option.  If you are like me and hate tennis shoes... this isn't fantastic news. 
I did see some people on our tours who had dansko-type shoes... very thick soles and heres the thing, they rolled their ankles over the uneven ground.... see my point?  No such thing as a perfect shoe here! :)
 
The locals aren't a great guide either because Italians loved fashion and most wore stylish boots and the women high heels.... I will say this... the tour guides, who have to walk all day over all these roads wore tennis shoes..... You decide what to do!

Comments

  1. take vibram 5 fingers for uneven ground. i am am all about minimalist shoes, and they shine where the ground is uneven! the bottoms of your feet will probably get tired tho. i think its pretty hard to be on your feet all day long on concrete and bricks and not feel anything. maybe next time put another pair of something in your backpack and switch off.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Finding My Birth Mom Part 1: Searching

I've always known I was adopted. I am so thankful for this because it saved me from a lot of struggle throughout my childhood.  I will forever be grateful to my parents for being up front about that. Here's my little story.  My parents were told they couldn't have children so they started an adoption journey.... they planned to save for a while but then I was born and suddenly they had a daughter!  A few months later, they discovered my mom was pregnant!  My sister and I are 14 months apart. I never once felt resentment to being adopted or hurt and rejected by my birth Mom.  I always had a sense that it was exactly what was supposed to be.   Even still.... throughout the years, I felt a yearning to know her. As a child I would sometimes lay awake at night, wondering about my birth mom.  Did she think about me? When my birthday happened every year, I always wondered if she was thinking of me that day. Was she happy?  Did I have half siblings? Did she want to know a

When I met Grant

I remember the day I met Grant Campbell.  I was checking on my son who was playing in the yard at our new house.  As I rounded the corner, I saw him talking over the fence to a guy I didn't know.  The guy was very tall, had tattoos head to toe and I was instant nervous-mama. I should have known that my sweet child was a better judge of character than I was.  That man he was chatting with was Grant Campbell, our neighbor and later our friend. A few days after, Grant and his wife Michelle brought over a little "welcome to the neighborhood" gift and that's when the friendship was born. They became fast friends.  The guys would go shooting, us girls would have daily chats, coffee and shopping trips together.  They eventually moved from next to us to across the street.  How fun it was to help them plan out their dreams for this house! There were many hours of dinners, chats, phone calls over the next years that created a deep bond between us. Then one day the

Yes, Go to that Funeral. It's Important!

I know people who say "I don't go to funerals". I get it. Sometimes they are uncomfortable. Sometimes they are painful. No one WANTS to feel those things, but I want to tell you why it's important and valuable to be there during those times. First of all, funerals aren't for the deceased, they are for the ones left behind. The ones who loved the deceased. The ones who are faced with loss. Let me tell you what your presence at a funeral can mean. It can mean "I am here because I care about you and the loss you are feeling" It can mean " I am here because the person who has passed meant a lot to me" It can mean "I am here because I've felt a similar pain". You may think your presence at a day like this doesn't have an impact but I can tell you from experience that it does. Those who take time to come share in a last farewell mean more to the family than can be put in to words. Even if you don't k

Think twice before you talk to someone about their weight

I recently had someone comment about my weight.... I have gained about 30 pounds in the last months and I started this year doing something about it... but when this person made her comment.... I wanted to scream, cry and of course, eat. When you  comment on someone's weight even if it is in "concern" for them, you are putting them in one of these situations. 1) They feel great the way they are, confident actually, and attractive and now you've cast doubt on all that. 2) They are already self conscious about it and you just made them feel worse. 3) They are aware they are over weight, are already on a diet or exercise plan but now you've made them question whether or not to continue because they don't want you to think they are losing it for you! You know those snide comments or "joking" comments you slip into conversation?  Yea, you're not that sneaky and they can still hurt! Weight is a very personal thing and unfortunately a str

Meeting My Birth Mom Part 2: The Gifts

After the initial meeting and conversation with my Bio Mom and her Husband, we met again to spend a majority of the following day together. This day didn't start as smoothly as the first, but there were still so many parts of the day that were like little gifts for me to open. Throughout this period of time of getting to know one another, I was able to see glimpses into the life of my bio grandparents and mom.  This is a gift I treasure. I was able to learn of some of the hardships that were overcome by previous generations and present ones.  A gift. I heard tales of tragedy, redemption and growth.  A gift. It's like I was taken on a little journey of continued discovery about the threads that make up part of the fabric that I am, that my Bio Mom is, and where some of our strength to endure comes from. Even as she would tell stories about her parents and grandparents, hearing her tell them, gave me more clarity on who she is as well. How she remembers things, how sh